Blog: November 13, 2019

What insurance do I need for a cafe?

If you are in the process of considering purchasing your own cafe or taking on a leasehold for your own business, it can be difficult to know where to start. Setting up your own business can be very rewarding, but also challenging as you try to establish your new venture. There are so many things to remember as you begin to think about your new business, and insurance is often overlooked. Choosing the right insurance which covers all the necessary elements to give you peace of mind can really help as you look to establish your cafe on the right footing.

Management and maintenance of your cafe will be vital to the ultimate success or failure of your business, so ensuring you have the right cover in place is imperative. To ensure you are fully prepared for any potential unforeseen damages or problems, putting comprehensive insurance cover in place will help protect you if the worst were to happen.

A barista serving customer in a cafe

At Arkwright Insurance Brokers, we have put together an extensive guide to give you detailed information about the different types of insurances that you will need for your cafe.

What insurance do I need for a cafe?

Buildings insurance

If you own or are thinking of purchasing a building to become a cafe, buildings insurance is vital. This covers any potential damages to the structure of the building, or any possible rebuilding if necessary.

Public liability insurance

Should a customer hurt themselves or their property is damaged whilst they are enjoying themselves in your cafe, you could be in danger of being sued. Purchasing public liability insurance will cover any unfortunate accidents such as a customer slipping over whilst protecting you if a customer sues you for claims of negligence. It will also cover the cost of any potential legal fees or the cost of paying compensation to the customer.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance will cover any potential damage or theft to important daily items crucial to the successful running of your business, including pots, pans and fixtures. New fixtures can be expensive, so having adequate contents insurance in place is vital to protect you and your business.

Business interruption insurance

You never know what is around the corner. If you are forced to close your business for a few days, weeks or even months, business interruption insurance will provide you with financial cover whilst your business is not able to open and generate revenue.

Employers’ liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance is legally required for any business with at least one employee. If an employee were to become ill or get injured whilst working for your business, this insurance will provide you with protection against a possible compensation claim.

Stock insurance

Stock is an important part of any successful business, therefore having stock insurance cover in place will help protect you if your inventory becomes spoiled due to flooding or a power cut, for instance.

There are many types of insurance to consider, and so being prepared and having the correct cover in place early will give your new cafe business the best chance of thriving. Have more questions? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our friendly team here at Arkwright Insurance Brokers on 01204 39 25 25 or send us an email at Quote@arkwrightinsurance.co.uk

Latest News

News & Knowledge Center